May 10, 2022

ReCycling

Today, for the second time in as many weeks, I rode my bike to work. 

This, it should be noted, is not anything of which to be particularly proud.

Firstly, my house is a 10km straight shot, on an overall downhill trajectory, from the office, along well maintained and highly trafficked separated bike lanes, and I am provided with excellent "end of trip" facilities, including a hot shower, when I arrive. 

It's going home that's the problem. 

A problem that I, in my own fashion, decided to solve with the rigorous application of a) money and b) technology.

In December last year, we went to visit some lovely folks of our acquaintance in Brisbane, and I found a delightful organisation that would rent us e-bikes for a WEEK for a very reasonable price. We spent a solid week, zipping up and down Southbank in a wonderful fashion, and I came home convinced that I needed one. 

A few weeks idly refreshing Facebook Marketplace, and I POUNCED on one that met the brief. Since then, we've notched up a couple of hundred kms, exploring some of the city's most lovely bike paths, including some up in the hills, and one down to the beach. 

And one, dear reader, that leads from my office to home. 

No comments: