January 29, 2005

The Wholly Trinity

Pumpkin, it is likely that you will spend a significant portion of your life surrounded by books. Many of the people closest to you, including both your mother and your father, are Right Into Books. This is, of course, hardly surprising, given that a healthy portion of both of our families are also Right Into Books.

One of my favourite authors, whom you will not be permitted to read until at least 2020, is a guy called Chuck Palahniuk (I can't pronounce it either). Being that yesterday was my 31st birthday, and being that I have friends, who in addition to being Right Into Books, know that I am Right Into Books, I was gifted with a book by the aforementioned Mr Pal.. Pahla.. let's call him Chuck.

In the book, Chuck talks about the fact that people he knows seem to lead a series of lives. That everyone he knows has a number of ways that they define themselves. Your mother, for instance, would likely say that she is a teacher and an artist and a mother. These are three things, I think you'll agree, that are worthwhile things to be.

On the other hand, I am struggling now to figure out what my three lives are - how to define who I am 24 hours a day. I'm a writer, I know that much, and I'm going to be a Dad, that's now a foregone conclusion, but it seems like there's an empty slot there now. Maybe I should take up tapdancing.

I've never much been a fan of tapdancing, mind you, and I'm not sure how your mum would feel about me bouncing up and down making clattering noises while she's trying to sleep. You're right, pumpkin, I'd best come up with a quieter and less intrusive hobby.

Perhaps juggling.

No comments: