June 15, 2005

Fatty Boombah


FatBebe
Originally uploaded by billyjoebob.
After your six week visit to the Maternal & Child Health Care nurse, punkin, we can see that you are continuing to grow at an astonishing rate. Whilst tracking fairly closely with what should be expected for a baby being reared entirely on boobjuice(tm), it's nonetheless a source of constant amazement to me.

Your existence, the fact that you know who I am, the way you look at me, and the strength with which you grip my hand are all constant reminders to me of the miracle that your mother and I have perpetrated.

We say often, as we gaze at your tiny, perfectly formed limbs and digits, gaze into your deep blue eyes, that we are astonished at the fact that you exist. The fact that you managed to arrive made without duct tape or stickytape continues to surprise us.

People, it is said, often spend many years of their lives trying to make their parents proud. I can tell you now, punkin, that all you have to do to make me proud is hold my hand and look at me.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Unfortunately pumpkin, as you grow older, the list of things that you need to do to impress people increases, until you'll find yourself in a situation where failure is the only outcome.

I'm here to tell you that failure is NOT something to be afraid of. It's not something that you should run away from. You need to embrace failure in all it's forms. You need to run head first, with your eyes closed and your ears covered (but still wearing an approved safety helmet and sensible running shoes) towards it. You need to bounce off it, scuffed and perhaps bruised, but still having hit it with all of your might.

Because, and consider this the first words of wisdom I've ever imparted to a child, failure is what makes us human. It's a fundamental part of the human condition. Without failure, we'd have no way of measuring our successes. And without failure, we'd have no way of knowing what to try and what should be better left alone.

Failure - baby Bram - is what helps us learn. And struggle against that as you might (and will), how we all deal with failure is what makes each of us unique.

So, with those words of wisdom rattling in your tiny little ears, let me just say that I failed to convince others to name one of the characters in my video game after you.