June 07, 2005

Surprises large and small.

There are many things, punkin, that surprise me about being a parent. Some are concrete, and would be familiar to many other parents out there in blogland, but I like to think that at least some of them are particular to me.

The first is the way that you smell. Obviously, there are times at which you smell better than other times, but on the whole, your scent has been a constant source of fascination to me. Often, when driving home and thinking about the things that I'm most looking forward to on my return from work, the sweet smell of your breath is something that occupies my mind. Ok that's a bit strange, I know, but there it is. Your smell, if it's possible to quantify such a thing, is somehow connected to both your mother's and to mine. It was one of the first things I noticed when I got home from the hospital, that you smelled to me like me, but not.

The second is that, at the tender age of four weeks and a scant few days, I'm already beginning to feel like you have a personality. That you know who I am, and that you look forward to me coming home. OK maybe that last is a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure that you know that I'm your dad.

Finally, I've been surprised that you've already started smiling. Granted, you're still smiling as often at inanimate objects as you are at me, but progress, punkin, is progress.

Love you.

No comments: