April 06, 2005

Rhyme or reason

There are literally thousands, punkin, of nursery rhymes and ditties that will pass your ears as you grow older. As I sat in an interminable meeting today, one that I had not heard in many many years crossed my path. It goes like this:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child born on the Sabbath Day,
Is fair and wise and good and gay.

Looking at this objectively, it seems like you'd be best suited to trying to get born on a Monday, a Tuesday, a Friday or a Sunday. I don't know that it's necessarily something to get TOO worked up about, but if there's any truth to this (nursery rhyme that was originally published in 1916 in this form, but can be traced back at least as far as the late 1600s in France), maybe you should make sure you hit the ground with the right start.

Your mother was born on a Friday, and it is absolutely the case that she is both loving and giving (as can be evidenced by the fact that she's let you take up residence in her belly for the last eight and a half months). Your father was born on a Monday, and it is also absolutely the case that he is a very handsome man. You should of course be aware that the only reason your dad knows what day of the week he was born on is because he went to this website. He's clever, punkin, but he's not that clever.

Love you.

1 comment:

RowdyLibrarian said...

Two things Possum, you have been Possum to me ever since I found out about you. My dad called me Possum, and it is the least I can do for you. I'm sad you won't ever know your Grandadalan (as he was known), he was a good dad, but he was a WONDERFUL grandfather - just ask your dad and your uncles (they might tell you about Magic Mountain, or the lucky dip). I'm passing on the name to you with my love - I'm not using it any more.

Next thing, I don't know about this rhyme thingy - I was born on Tuesday, and I'm many things but graceful isn't one of them. Of course I'm just talking about physical grace - inside I'm as graceful as all get out. Your Grandad Phil was born on Friday - and he like your mum is loving and giving. We won't even consider Uncle David. I don't think it holds water myself. I think whatever day you are born on you will be fair & wise & loving & giving and all of the good things we could wish for you. The major two being that you will have a great sense of humor and in the fullness of time vote labor.
love
Grammy Linda
(of course you can call me anything you like - it's just Grammy Linda for the time being, until you can talk)