October 19, 2004

a first for everything

Look pumpkin! It's our first rejection letter!!

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your email and for the proposal of a diary concept for
publication. While I believe the diary will be a beautiful keepsake for your
family, I would not be interested in it for publication. However, as you
say, there is a dearth of stories from the fathers perspective and we would
be interested in taking a look at any stories you would care to submit. Our
contributor guidelines are below.

Thank you once again and congratulations on your impending parenthood.

Kind regards,
EDITOR DUDE

2 comments:

Liz said...

Do not be discouraged. As someone who works at a publisher's, and deals with applications from hopeful writers, AND has published writery friends....I know that a significant amount of publishing rejection is about timing and suiting the current publishing schedule, rather than quality. Ok, sometimes I just don't like the font an applicant's chosen. Keep going. Too bad I work at a travel publishers rather than a proper literary one.

Pol said...

Ah...that might have been my doing Bill.

I sent a mail to the age saying their content was a bit on the shabby side and they should print the pumpkin diary instead of Helen Razer.

I know they don't anymore but they did and that is a stain unremoveable in this boys book.

Anyhow I thought it could be quitye a little cultish thing, about the size of a cross word and would engage the people with you threes's lovely story.

It appears the only way to get published is to be a celeb, with a ghost writer.
Or Emma Thom....who despite being able to eat an apple through a letter box is a fine filly and fond of shiny leather troos.

But I digress.

Pol x